You are here:- Home > Church Recording > St Andrew and St Mary, How Caple > Record Examples

Church Recording for St Andrew and St Mary, How Caple - Examples from the Records

Further Information on all these items (and many more) can be viewed in the Church Record

Diptych left
Diptych right


The Diptych comprises eight religious paintings, formed into four panels, each having a painting on front and back. The panels are thought to represent:

(Top Frame) The Seven Joys of the Virgin; The Washing of the Feet; Seated Virgin and Child; The Seven Sorrows of the Virgin

(Bottom Frame) The Death of the Virgin; The Mass of St Gregory; The Death of St. Francis; The Death of St. Clare

Dated around 1515 and believed to be from the Nurnberg area of South Germany.

Click here for more detail of these paintings

Royal Arms


Large carved Royal Coat of Arms for William III and Mary mounted on top of the Chancel Screen. This version of the arms is considered to be extremely rare and to be finely carved. Probably circa 1693-1695. The carving has been attributed to Grinlin Gibbons but is not included in the Inventory of his work in Herefordshire held by the County Records Office.

Window in the Gregory Chapel


Stonework: Perpendicular style window within a late 17th century wall. Two-centred arch and rere arch with splayed reveals.

Window Schematic

Eyelets and Tracery Lights (1 - 6) Two lozenge shaped eyelets, two triangular eyelets, and two pointed trefoil headed lights.

Lights (2) and (3) Each depicts a winged angel of different colours holding a banner with the word ALLELUIA.

Light (7) Based on St. Matthew 9 v. 12 "If I may but touch his garment, I shall be whole." The central figure is of Jesus and kneeling before Him is a woman with bent head and clasping his red robe. On the left of Jesus is an elderly disciple with a golden halo and to His right stands a figure clasping a brown staff.

Light (8) Based on St. Matthew 15 vs. 26-28 "Yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table." Jesus stands with his right hand raised in blessing and his left hand over a squatting figure of a woman. She looks up towards him with her right hand raised and her left hand pointing downward at a grey coloured dog that sniffs at a piece of food on the floor. On the right side of Jesus is a young, clean-shaved, disciple with a pink coloured halo and two figures stand on the other side.

At the bottom of Lights (7) and (8) are two decorative panels with the words from St Matthew's Gospel inscribed in gold decorative Lombardic upper case lettering on a black background.

Click here for more Windows

Processional Cross


Corpus Christi fixed to a Latin cross with three bolts shaped as nails. Each arm of the cross terminates in a roundel with crocketing around the edge.
The roundels on the face of the cross have cast symbols of the four Evangelists riveted on the front. The roundels that occupy the corresponding places on the reverse are engraved with the Yorkist 'sun in splendour'.

Late 15th century copper gilt. Considered to be the work of a very capable artist, probably a goldsmith.
The cross is attached to a wooden staff by placing its lower arm over a finial, which is set on the ferrule of the staff.

This item is not held at the church.

Click here for more Metalwork

Ledger Stone


Located in the Gregory Chapel in memory of William Gregory who died in 1702.

Rectangular stone set upright against the wall and fixed by three wrought iron brackets. At the head of the stone is a coat of arms, above which is the Gregory crest set on a wreath.

BlazonTwo bars in chief a lion passant armed and langued [GREGORY OF STIVICHALL]
Two bars each charged with three mascles, on a canton a leopard's head [GEERS]
CrestA demi-boar, rampant collared and armed.

The inscription reads "Here lyeth the Body of William Gregory Esq Eldest Son of James Gregory Esq And Grandson of Sr William Gregory Kt He deceased April the 3rd in the year of our Lord 1702".

The bottom of the stone is missing and an earlier transcript adds the words "aged 27 years".

Click here for more Memorials

Altar Screen and Reredos


Above the Altar Table is an Oak Screen consisting of a triptych incorporating a central Reredos flanked on either side by niches.

The Reredos embodies a carved representation of the Last Supper (after Leonardo da Vinci) and is unsigned.

In the left niche is a statue of St. Mary and in the right niche a statue of St Andrew, the Church's two patron saints.

Above the Screen and Reredos is a pierced balustrade with five support plinths on which are mounted five gilded figures, Christ in the centre flanked on either side by two angels.

Click here for more Woodwork



Rough 13th century stone basin let into the south wall of the Chancel. Hollowed bowl with drain at the back, below arched hood made of one stone. Upper section faced with wooden pointed arch with poppy head motif.

Click here for more Stonework

Mothers' Union Banner


Mothers' Union Banner hung on a plain round wooden pole, mounted on a 3 step plinth.

Wording in upper case lettering is embroidered in red silk. The cross is embroidered in gold coloured thread and is similar to an Iona cross.
The pole is mounted on a three stepped wooden plinth with flared finial, and cross arms with flared finial ends.

Click here for more Textiles

Wall Clock


Act of Parliament mahogany 1795 clock.

Large black painted face with gilded roman numerals marking the hours. Extending around the outside of the dial are two concentric gold painted rings with bars marking the minutes. The hands are of white metal, there is a single winding aperture and the case has a central door to access the mechanism.

Given to the church in 1939 by Lennox B. Lee.

Click here for more Miscellaneous



One copy of the King James version with brown tooled leather binding on board with 6 gold embossed bands above and below tooled scrolls. On front cover HOLY BIBLE embossed in gold. Lettering in roman upper case and 4 tooled pateria in fields. Paste down and fly leaf are marbled.

Printed in 1789 by John Archdeacon, Printer to the University of Cambridge.

Click here for more Library

Click here to return to the overview

© The Arts Society Ross-on-Wye or the originator